The Worst Thing About A Home Fire?
Most Can Be Prevented!
Of course, if you tend to be an optimist, that can also be the best thing about a home fires…as in, take steps to prevent an electrical fire now, and you can prevent a world of woes later on.
During a typical year, home electrical problems result in an estimated 90,000 fires which, in turn, cause untold injuries, loss of property…and worse. And the sad thing is, most of these fires are caused by electrical problems, and most of these can be prevented.
Specifically, most home electrical fires are caused by the misuse and poor maintenance of electrical appliances, incorrectly installed wiring, and overloaded circuits and extension cords. Electrical fires are more common during the winter months, especially in December and January when many homes are adorned – electrically and otherwise – with holiday decorations.
In the interest of your family’s continued safety, (company name) is pleased to offer you these fire prevention tips:
- Don’t overload wall sockets. If a wall socket is warm to the touch, it’s overloaded. If it’s not overloaded but still warm to the touch, have it replaced immediately. Same goes for light switches.
- Regularly check your appliance, tool, and extension cords for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, and broken or cracked sockets.
- Don’t put electrical cords under rugs, over nails, or in high traffic areas. Also, do not trap appliance or extension cords against the wall or under carpeting. Heat can build up and start a fire.
- Clean the lint filter in your drier after every use. Also, regularly check your exhaust hose to make sure hot air is escaping normally.
- Keep clothes, curtains and anything else that might burn at least three feet away from all electric heaters.
- When buying tools, appliances, holiday lights, and more, make sure they are approved by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or another independent testing facility.
- If a tool or appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-prong outlet.